Relocating to Australia with my Thai Partner

you are looking to relocate to Australia with your Thai Partner she will need a visa. There are special family type visas that are specifically designed to assist foreign nationals to move to Australia to be with their Partner. To be eligible one of the couple must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

There are options within the Australian family group of visas to suit different types of relationships. There are visas for Fiancés, visas for married couples and finally, visas for de facto couples. Same sex couples are classified within the de facto category.

The first thing to do is to work out whether you and your Thai Partner fit the criteria applicable to the visa you are contemplating. While the focus is on your Thai Partner, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) will also look at you, her “Sponsor” to see if you fit the criteria as someone who can provide support to her for an initial period of time. Some of the important questions are: can you support her financially? Are you are person of good or adequate character? If your Partner has any dependent children she can include them in the application. If she does, DIAC will look at you as her Sponsor even more closely because of the issues of safety for minors.

The temporary, leading to permanent, family type Australian visas are very good they offer many benefits to the holder. The “Fiancé” or Partner visa, once granted, will allow your Thai Partner to work and have access to Medicare. Theses visa will also eventually lead to permanent residence.

It is very important to remember that there is a lot of preparation involved in the “Fiancé or Partner visa applications. It is a complex process and takes considerable time and effort to both prepare and process and application. Applications that are well prepared always take less time to prepare and process than those that are not. It is not just a time issue – a high proportion of self prepared applications are refused leaving the couple devastated and leaving their future in Australia in doubt.

To avoid disappointment we always recommend that you seek professional advice when considering applying for an Australian visa – of any kind. A skilled and experience Migration Agent can guide so that you make the right choice, and they provide you with strategy in the forward planning of your visa or visas. Our team can provide a range of services ranging from advice to full preparation assistance, including liaising with DIAC or the Australian Embassy in Thailand. We always offer a free initial consultation, so you really have nothing to lose by contacting us.

One thought on “Relocating to Australia with my Thai Partner

  1. Please contact me on 0426208082 (Aus) in regards to aplying for a spouse visa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>